Barry St Renovation
Project Name: Barry St Renovation
Project Value: $600,000
This renovation of a traditional Victorian Terrace house in a superb location, just off High Street, Northcote was the epitome of breathing life back into a cold, leaky and rundown home. The original home was dark and claustrophobic with many small add-ons combining to make a great mess of rooms without any purpose or function.
With interior design from the all inspiring Heartly Design Studio the home opened up into a beautiful, spacious and light-filled home.
The construction process got off to a rocky start (pun intended) with an excessive amount of rock found in the ground. We remove boulder after boulder. As is typical with a Victorian Terrace the home was built boundary to boundary on a very narrow site. We had to be very careful on the removal of some boulders to ensure the neighbouring foundations weren’t bearing on them. All in all it was a laborious but efficient process of rock removal.
The works added a second story with two bedrooms and an ensuite while totally reconfiguring and opening up the ground floor living space below. Adding a second story exposed the home to the harsh western sun. A solution for this was to increase the insulation to the first floor externals walls.
The dirt. and the rock at the beginning of a project is always forgotten about when the home is completed and clients get to move into a home as beautiful, high performing and comfortable as this one.
Materials & ESD (Ecological Sustainable Development) Features
• No increase to footprint by adding a second story
• Preservation of the heritage of the existing home
• Timber cladding (cypress pine) throughout
• Recycled Baltic pine flooring to match existing
• Hebel partition walls - High acoustic and high insulating values
• 120mm external walls for extra insulation
Passive Design Features
- • Large porch roof to shade north facing ground floor window and door.
• Maximised north and east facing windows
Heating and Cooling
- • Hydronic in-slab heating and panel heating to existing house
• Split system to First floor bedroom
Windows & Glazing
- • Double Glazed Windows - Rylock Windows
- • Solar ready (Solar has since been installed by the clients)
- • WELS 4 star rated Tapware throughout