Smith St House
Project Name: Smith St, Collingwood
Project Value: $700,000
This Renovation & Extension titled Atop a Shop by Architect, Jack Chen director of Tsai Design transforms the rundown home above an inner city, Victorian era shop front into a warm and welcoming family retreat.
The home is positioned atop a Violin shop the clients own and operate. It’s critical to draw the line between work and leisure and we think this home atop a shop has nailed this objective.
With limited access to the site via a rear laneway the project was delivered while the shop underneath maintained full operation. The guys on site had to pay great attention to ensure there was no disruption to the function of the shops business.
Of course being a violin shop, sound was a major issue while people were practising and testing out violins. To combat this we applied acoustic insulation into every nook and cranny to isolate the construction zone from the operating music shop.
The project was complete in 9 months turning out to be well ahead of schedule. Now the clients have a beautiful space to retreat to after a hard day’s work in the violin shop.
Materials & ESD (Ecological Sustainable Development) Features
• Timber Windows- Elite Windows
• Decking & Handrails are Spotted Gum FSC certified
• Internal timbers and trimming are reused KD Hardwood from propping of the neighbouring buildings during construction
• 75mm Hebel Power Panel Boundary Wall System
• Stair void roof lining is the SUNLITE flat multiwall polycarbonate, lightweight roof sheet with superior thermal insulation.
• Weathertex Natural Cladding System, Platinum Greentag certTM certified
• Cork floor planks. - Natural raw material which is 100% biodegradable, recyclable and renewable.
• Strong acoustic and thermal qualities
• Great for indoor air quality and comfort
• Internal & External wall insulation R2.5 High Density Glasswool Batts
• Ceiling insulation R4.0 Glasswool Batts Fitted to Subfloor & R5.0 Glasswool Batts
• Recycled red bricks from Beaver Bricks
• Brick Cleaning used is the Acid-Replacement Concrete Remover® from Guard IT. It is a unique, safe to use concrete cleaner based on organic compounds.
• Natural bluestone tiles used around fireplace
• Self-engaging doorseals installed to base of all doors to prevent draughts
Passive Design Features
- • Restricted by the envelope of the existing building the footprint remained the same
• Screening wherever possible
• The use of double glazed skylights throughout
• East facing Master bedroom
• East facing rooftop deck, balcony and Ground floor decking
• Clear roofing to void area to allow sunlight to enter the home
Heating and Cooling
- • 2 x Fujitsu split systems
Windows & Glazing
- • Double Glazed Timber Windows - FSC certified KD Hardwood Frame
• VELUX double glazed high performance fixed skylight
- • Pre wired for a Solar & Battery system to be installed at a later date. The clients are planning to install Enphase solar panels and micro-inverter with a 14kWh Tesla Powerwall 2.
- • 2000L Colorbond metal slimline Rainwater Tank
• Including 1 x Davey KRB2NF Rainbank - Mains switch over pump to service double storey home
• Rinnai Instantaneous Hot water
• WELS 4 star rated Tapware throughout