Cameron St House
Project Name: Cameron House
This project in Coburg was a couple of years in the making. Design was undertaken by Architect Hewson which involved some creative solutions, which is clearly evident in the shape of the building to ensure the new extension didn’t overshadow the northern aspect of the southern neighbour.
The home is a timber cottage built sometime between the two world wars. The front three rooms were retained, however required some restumping due the reactivity of the ground to the area.
Some repairs were required to the existing baltic pine timber floor and existing plasterwork which had decayed over the years with the movement of the home and pour control of moisture around the home.
This project required some rather extensive value management to ensure the project came within budget. With an emphasis on longevity and low maintenance, Cemintel Barestone external cladding was installed on the extension which doesn’t require any painting or upkeep. Perhaps a spray with the hose here and there if it hasn’t rained for a while. To maintain the classic look of the timber home, the severely deteriorated weatherboards were replaced with Weathertex Classic smooth weatherboards.
Timber is in abundance throughout the home to give a homely farmhouse like feeling to the living and kitchen space. The shapes and intricate angles of the First floor feel sharp and new age.
Materials & ESD (Ecological Sustainable Development) Features
• Careful design to maximise natural light and solar heat gain
• Preservation of the heritage of the existing home
• Cemintel Barestone External cladding (maintenance free and long lasting)
• Recycled Baltic pine timber floor to repair existing.
• Belray Ecolite Plus insulated double glazed skylight
• Replace existing rotten weatherboards with Weathertex weatherboards (100% natural)
• Pure wool carpet
• Recycled Messmate timber kitchen with a ‘wormy chestnut’ feature.
• Spotted Gum timber floor
Passive Design Features
- • Pergola to shield the West facing windows and living area from the harsh western sun
Heating and Cooling
- • heating including panels & towel rails, heated via an Immergas Intec combi boiler.
• Split system to First floor bedroom
Windows & Glazing
- • Rylock Double Glazed Aluminium Windows